475 South Nelson Avenue
The US EPA mandated Storm Water Management Program traces its roots back to the formation on the Federal Water Pollution Control Act of 1972. The amended, and renamed, Clean Water Act of 1977 gave birth to the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES). This permit system is used to control water quality, originally through municipal and industrial wastewater discharges and sludge disposal practices.
In 1990, Phase I of the EPA’s storm water program was promulgated. This program relied on NPDES permit coverage to regulate stormwater runoff from medium and large municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4), generally any municipality over 100,000 people.
The Storm Water Phase II Final Rule, promulgated in 1999, is the second step at combating municipal storm water discharge. The Phase II program regulates additional MS4 operations that are located within urbanized areas, as defined by the United States Census Bureau.
The NPDES Storm Water Phase II permit program is administered by the Ohio EPA. Designated MS4s within the State of Ohio were required to submit to Ohio EPA for Phase II permit coverage by May 1, 2007. The City of Wilmington’s Stormwater Management Program (SWMP), developed by City personnel and HDR/Quest Engineers was sent to Ohio EPA for approval in 2008. On June 5, 2009, the City received notice that the SWMP had been accepted and the City was now covered under Ohio EPA General Permit OHQ000002.
The City of Wilmington Stormwater Management Program is administered by the Wastewater Department, in cooperation with each of the City’s service and safety departments, as well as the parks and recreation, and building departments.
For information contact the Wastewater Treatment Plant at 937-382-2413 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- City of Wilmington Stormwater Control Manual
- City of Wilmington Code of Ordinances
- Creek Maintenance Policy
- Chapter 938 – Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Chapter 939 – Control of Post Construction Stormwater Runoff
- Ohio EPA Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Program
- Lower Little Miami River TMDL
- Stormwater Appeals Request Form
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Stormwater Management?
- What is Phase II Stormwater Community?
- How Do Storm Sewers Work?
- Citizen Report Form
- How Can Lawn Care Effect Storm Sewers?
- What Do I Do with Motor Oil?