Chris Hodgson, President
*The Tree Commission consists of 9 appointments made by the Mayor.
Powers and Duties of Commission
The Tree Commission was established for the following purposes:
- Provide for the preservation, protection and enhancement of trees and shrubs within the public right-of-way as an asset of vital importance.
- Prevent the irreplaceable loss to the people of the City of the aesthetic, cultural and historic values represented by trees and shrubs within the City.
- Stabilize and improve property values within the City.
- Foster civic pride in the beauty of the City and its past.
- Enhance the City’s attraction as a desirable place in which to live, thereby providing an incentive for new business and industries to locate in and around the City and for established business and industries to remain in and around the City.
- Provide for the responsible and safe management of trees and shrubs within the public right-of-way.
Codified Ordinances of the City of Wilmington, Ohio
909.05 WILMINGTON TREE COMMISSION.
(a) Establishment. To achieve the purposes of this chapter, the Wilmington Tree Commission is hereby established.
(b) Composition. The Commission shall not exceed nine members, a majority of which shall be residents of the City. The Commission shall have no fewer than five members.
(c) Term. Subject to the provisions of subsection (e) hereof, each member shall serve a term of two years, on a staggered rotation. There shall be no limit to the number of terms a member may serve.
(d) Appointing Authority. The Mayor shall appoint all members of the Commission.
(e) Vacancy. A successor shall be appointed by the Mayor to fill the unexpired portion of the term created by any vacancy.
(f) No Compensation. Members shall serve without compensation, but shall be entitled to reimbursement of any and all necessary expenditures incurred in the performance of the functions of the Commission.
(g) Removal. Any member may be removed for just cause by the appointing authority.
(h) Quorum. A majority of all the members appointed to the Commission shall be a quorum. No decision or determination shall be made at any meeting where there is no quorum present, however, a less number may adjourn from day to day.
(Ord. 5153. Passed 5-1-14.)
Public Service AnnouncementsInformation on Tree Topping